Asia Risk Awards 2021 Categories
House of the year
- Derivatives house of the year Asia ex-Japan
- Derivatives house of the year Japan
Banks nominating themselves for Asia Risk’s Asia-ex Japan and Japan house of the year awards should be strong in at least three asset classes. Case studies supporting how the bank has met client needs are very important. Equal weight will be placed on examples of smart risk management and the structuring of investment products. Evidence to back up claims, in the form of client references, will be vital to success – what your clients say about you is one of the most important parts of the process.
Asset class house of the year
- RMB house of the year
- Interest rate derivatives house of the year
- Credit derivatives house of the year
- Equity derivatives house of the year
- Currency derivatives house of the year
- Asia structured products house of the year
The criteria for the individual asset class awards is the same as for the house awards mentioned above, except this time, market leading structuring and risk management will be judged at a product level.
- Regulator of the year
This category aims to recognise the best regulator in the Asia-Pacific region. With agreement now almost secured in the post crisis regulatory agenda across the globe, the focus shifts to implementation. We will focus on the regulator that is ahead of the game, has been proactive instead of reactive when it comes to acting against any excessive risk build up and one which takes a balanced approach in allowing just the right amount of risk appetite to encourage innovation while at the same time ensuring market integrity remains intact.
- Bank risk manager of the year
This award appreciates the achievement of an institution’s risk management leadership. It recognises an individual’s role in augmenting the risk management function of the institution. Applicants should outline the bank’s risk management processes, policies and systems, and describe any improvements made to the risk function over the past 12 months. Of particular importance is how the risk management function fared during periods of market stress.
- Quant house of the year
The Asia quant house of the year award will go to the financial institution that has proposed the most innovative and efficient quantitative solution in Asia. Both buy-side and sell-side quantitative models are eligible, as long as they are currently applied within the pitching financial institution or its clients. Models may pertain to any area of quantitative finance. Entries should be in the format of a scientific paper or a presentation and need to be sufficiently detailed for the judging panel to evaluate the merit of the proposed method. It is advisable to include numerical applications or case studies to support the validity of the solution. Where applicable, clients will be consulted.
- Investment house of the year
This award is given in recognition of a firm’s success in applying evidence-based systematic investment techniques to deliver good risk-adjusted returns. The emphasis is on the firm’s approach and research – not only performance – and may highlight creativity, robustness, technical rigour and technological innovation.
- Deal of the year
To reflect the growing importance of risk solutions at work, this category will spotlight individual client engagements. Pitching banks should present a case study that highlights creativity, teamwork and a good outcome for the client – the resulting risks must be shown to have been managed appropriately.
- Sovereign risk manager of the year
- Derivatives exchange of the year
- Collateral manager of the year
- Securities house of the year
- Clearing house of the year
- OTC trading platform of the year
- Market maker of the year
- Derivatives law firm of the year
- Risk management consultant of the year
- Securities lender of the year
- ETF market maker of the year
- Credit portfolio manager of the year
- Derivatives client clearer of the year
This section of the awards recognises best practice in providing services to banks and other financial institutions in relation to derivatives and risk management. Submissions should focus on case studies that demonstrate innovation and volume of business conducted over the last 12 months.
- Australia house of the year
- China house of the year
- Hong Kong house of the year
- Indonesia house of the year
- Malaysia house of the year
- South Korea house of the year
- Singapore house of the year
- Taiwan house of the year
- Vietnam house of the year
- Philippines house of the year
- Thailand house of the year
- India house of the year
- Japan house of the year
The country house awards are looking for best practice in both risk management and derivatives use. For advanced economies, such as Australia and Singapore, or those with burgeoning derivatives markets such as South Korea and Malaysia, winners will be required to demonstrate an ability to manage complex structures. For the other countries how firms have managed liquidity and credit risk management requirements are more likely to be the key differentiators.
Technology Categories (adjudged by a panel)
- XVA solution of the year
- IFRS 9 solution of the year
- Buy-side trading system of the year
- ALM solution of the year
- Market data vendor of the year
- Cloud solution provider of the year
- Collateral management solution of the year
- Margining solution of the year
- Counterparty risk solution of the year
- IFRS 17 solution of the year
- FRTB management solution of the year
- Best AI or machine learning innovation
- Pricing and trading system of the year
- Vendor for system support and implementation of the year
- Technology vendor of the year
- Cyber risk solution of the year
- LIBOR solution of the year
- Best portfolio optimization solution of the year
- Risk data repository of the year
- Liquidity risk solution of the year
- Best product for capital markets
- Governance, risk and compliance solution of the year
- Credit risk management solution of the year
- Best structured products support system
- Best operations or back office solution
- ESG data vendor of the year
- Best trading solution for energy / LNG products
- Operational risk solution of the year
- AML / Fraud solution of the year
Facing new threats – and tight spending constraints – banks and other financial services firms are increasingly reliant on technology to manage risk effectively and efficiently, a story that Asia Risk and Risk.net covers in more depth than any other publication.
The Asia Risk Technology Awards recognise vendors that are doing the most to help the industry meet its various challenges in innovative and forward looking ways.